Worship With Us
A Special Welcome To First-Time Visitors:
We’re glad you’re visiting with us online and hope you’ll take the next step, to come visit with us during our Sunday worship services or other church events. We celebrate our rich diversity and welcome people from all walks of life, all religious backgrounds, all races, all all genders and sexual orientations. We are embracing of many beliefs, welcoming of, and increasingly accessible to people of all abilities.
We’ve been in the Birmingham area for more than 60 years, and have earned an outstanding reputation for longstanding involvement with justice issues, including civil rights struggles.
We have more than 200 members and an excellent Religious Education program for children and youth as well as adult enrichment classes and activities. On the practical side, we have a spacious new wheelchair-accessible building with plenty of parking, including spaces reserved for visitors and for seniors. You’ll find people here dressed in everything from jeans and Ts to dresses and suits, so come as you are and experience our worship services for yourself.
Our Sunday Services
Our Sunday services are thought-provoking, with moving music and meaningful traditions. We have strong lay leadership, and enjoy lay-led services during the summer and many times throughout the year.
Your children may sit with you through the service or you may take advantage of other options:
- Childcare for babies and toddlers.
- A “family room,” where parents can sit with their children and listen to the service.
- A “Time for All Ages” at the beginning of each service, where Preschool through High School students share in worship time with the rest of the community.
- Religious Education classes for Preschool through High School students after “Time for All Ages”
Elements of a typical Sunday morning worship service include:
- Words of welcome
- Lighting a flaming chalice, the symbol of our faith
- A “time for all ages,” usually a story that resonates with people of all ages but is understandable by children; we sing to the children as they go to their classes after this segment
- Wonderful music, instrumental and vocal, sacred and secular, in a variety of styles
- A time for lifting up the joys and concerns of the congregation
- A meditation or prayer
- Inspiring readings, ancient or contemporary, that support the theme of the service
- A sermon given by a professional minister, a guest speaker, or a member of the congregation
- An offering, collecting financial donations for the congregation or for justice work in the community.
From time to time, worship services incorporate holiday celebrations, multigenerational plays and pageants, longer musical performances, child dedications, and coming-of-age ceremonies. We offer childcare and learning programs for children and youth during the Sunday service.
As you explore our website and learn about our location, feel free to contact us with your questions. We look forward to meeting you and helping you find what you need.